Wednesday, December 22, 2010

FLAN RECIPE

EASY FLAN de ABUELA (grandma) ISABELITA 

In a small sauce pan, make a caramel topping by taking 1 CUP OF SUGAR over very low heat, stirring slowly as the sugar melts and caramelizes. The sugar will turn a beautiful amber color.
Pour the caramel into a the mold of you choice. I recommend a  round glass pyrex type dish, or if you are giving it away, a round aluminum container (sold at the Dollar Tree). Before the caramel hardens tilt the dish all around to distribute the caramel all around the bottom and sides of the dish. Let set will you make the filling.
  
IN A BLENDER :
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 ts salt
1 tbls vanilla
4 eggs yolks
2 whole eggs

Blend until  just mixed thru, don't whip or over blend. Pour mixture into your prepared caramelized dish.

Bake at 350 degrees BANO De MARIA STYLE ( in a water bath). This means you place your dish in a larger oven safe dish or pan fill with about 1 too 2 inches of water. BAKE 45 minutes or until you poke it with a fork and the fork comes out clean. Depending on you oven it could up to 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. 

Remove from oven and let cool. Refrigerate til chilled thru, then scrap the sides all around the edges with a knife and using another larger plate, carefully invert it. 

THERE YOU HAVE IT.... A CUBAN STYLE FLAN ...YUMMIE :)
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Tks for the Recipe i luv this kind of Flan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMO!!! I need to try this. I had a lot of flan when I served my mission in France. I wonder if it will taste similar to your Cuban flan. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love flan. When I was in high school, our Spanish Club went to Mexico City for several weeks. The restaurant we went to for most of our meals was a delight. Ran by a mom and pop who loved us kids. One night they sent us back with sopapillas. These were the best things I've ever had. Second was the flan. Thanks for sharing! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh looks like something I might be able to make!!!!! Dh loves them and creme brûlée :) now if I could learn to make paella like we had in taneriffa, Spain!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looooove flan!! it's my favourite dessert, i can eat the whole thing at once. Actually my mom is making me one for xmas as we are having a cuban xmas you know...broiled pork, black beans, rice, plantain, yuca, salad, chicharrones and the flan to just make us fatter this xmas lol. You can also use a pressure cooker like we use in cuba for not everybody has an oven and it's ready in 45min!

    Have a merry christmas Alex! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the recipe...Merry Christmas!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe and enjoy your Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic! I miss having flan... my own Mami (RIP) used to make it for me when I was little. Thank you for posting a real Cuban style flan recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment ! They make my day !