Friday, September 7, 2012

Dress Making Success

Hi there ~

Remember when I ventured off to the LA Fabric District 
a couple of weeks ago and came back with my fabric haul of knits?!
 

That's less than half of it....Oops!!!

WHA-ELL!!!...talk about "worth my time"! As soon as I could, I challenged myself to make a DRESS! Yup, a FULL real ready to wear, top and bottom garment! To be honest, I was scared to death... but determined! After all... I had invested time and money in acquiring the fabric, right?!, AND spent countless hours searching blogs and pinterest for ideas and tutorials.

I was committed and there was no turning back NOW! Let the pattern drafting, cutting, sewing, serging and fittings begin!

Here's what I got for my efforts...{insert feelings of giddy satisfaction}



AAAaaa!!! I REAL DRESS!!! Something I could actually wear in public! I hadn't constructed a full garment like this since my days of trying to make Halloween customs for my kids! {sighs of happiness and relief }


Using my Brother Serger 1034D. I gift I'd gotten myself almost a year ago, I was able to produce PERFECT GATHERS! I'll never do gathers the old way again! EVER! Not to mention, finish the seams with a secure neat stitch! Highly recommend this machine, even for the novice sewist :)



If there was anywhere in this project I thought I would screw up, it would have been attaching the set in SLEEVES! But YAHOO! Success the first time, thanks to all those tutorials I studied. And LOOK the sleeves even have a cuff :)

AHHHH... and how can I forget the tip I learned about using a TWIN NEEDLE for finishing hems and top stitching for a PRO store bought look!

And last but not least...here I AM all ready to go church with my new DRESS! Taking pictures of yourself is so AWKWARD!



I hope to do some simple technique tutorials myself in the coming months so I can share what I learned. In the meantime, check out my PINTEREST PAGE under my boards for SEWING TIPS and SEWING PROJECTS for ME and KIDS.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment ! They make my day !